Friday, July 29, 2011

The Land Down Under


There aren’t many places that I’ve been where I can say I was a sightseer or tourist or took tons of pictures, but I did visit Australia back in the mid 80’s.  Thanks to the internet, I can share some of the places I saw while I was there.  I spent all my time around the Sydney area but did venture out a couple of times. 

On one of my trips, I wanted to find the famous “Blue Mountains”.  I had read about the “Three Sisters” and just had to see.  So off I went, map in hand (or should I say front seat) and hoping I wouldn’t get lost. 
Three Sisters up close
Three Sisters, Blue Mountains
Three Sisters at sunset
I found this place that had a natural stairway down into the valley below, and started my adventure downward.  Okay, I didn’t bother to read the plaque up top that talked about it, but after about 30 minutes or so, decided this was NOT what I wanted to do, and didn’t really think I could make it.
Entrance to the Giant Stairway
Upon reaching the top again, I noticed the plaque that read “over 800 steps”.  YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!  Needless to say, I’m glad I turned around when I did.  Here is a little excerpt from one website that describes it:

This walk starts at the most popular lookout in the Blue Mountains, and passes one of Australia's most famous landmarks, The Three Sisters. After descending into the valley and enjoying the views along the bottom of the cliffs you catch the scenic railway back up the hill. With great views of the valley, and a beautiful forest environment, this is a popular walk. All the more because at the end, the world's steepest railway is available to take walkers back up to the top of the cliffs. This walk is not suitable for people with heart or breathing difficulties and for those with a fear of heights.

Half way point
Didn't look that scary, until you're in it!
Funny, they didn’t mention the over 800 steps!  Haha

Though I didn’t get right up close, I did get to see the views of that area.  Breathtaking is all I can say.  Enjoy some of the images I found from that area.
Wind Erosion rocks
Govetts Leap, Blue Mountains
Wentworth Falls
My frequent hang out was Manly Beach:  reminded me of Hawaii, crystal clear water and you could go out 50 yards and only be up to your waist in the water.  And they had the best gyros there.  Yummmmmmmm.
Walkway to Manly Beach
Manly Beach Shops

I hope to some day get back to Australia.  There is so much more I want to see, like the Great Barrier Reef!  Until then, I will just dream about it!


Hope you enjoyed your visit to the land down under.  
Thanks for stopping by!
Have a great weekend
~~~ Duuude ~~~

3 comments:

Peppercorns said...

I've often wanted to visit Australia and N.Z., but have never had the chance. I can see why your trip is a fond memory. Beautiful post Duuuude.

VintageEmbellishment said...

Our son backpacked through Australia for 6 weeks...he loved it! Someday we hope to visit there also...but I prefer nice hotels, so we won't be backpacking!

goodgosh said...

You've been to Australia?? I would love to go there! My niece is dating a guy from there and I could sit and listen to him for hours. :)