Wednesday, December 21, 2011

It's never too late to make the donuts

This is my grandmother's recipe for donuts. It is an easy one and you can get fancy and ice them up if you like. I just mix a little cinnamon and sugar and roll the donuts in it. These are easy to make on Christmas morning as they don't take a lot of time.


Donuts

2/3 cup sugar
1 Tbs soft butter
add 2 eggs and beat well

sift 3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp fresh nutmeg (I just use a little cinnamon in place of the nutmeg and sometimes add a little vanilla flavoring) 

Sift alternatly into creamed mixture with a scant cup of milk.
Mix well.
add more flour if needed. 
Roll out and cut out.

In an iron skillet (any pan will do, I use a big sauce pan)
melt about 1 1/4 lb lard...(I use veg or canolla oil)
When fat/oil is hot enough, donuts holes will rise at once and begin to brown.

Put donuts in one at a time and let each rise and start to brown before adding the another. You can have six or seven going at a time.

Remove from oil and place on cooling rack.
Once they have cooled a little I roll them in the sugar mixture.

You can also glaze them or eat them plain 


Hope you enjoy and have a Very Merry Christmas.

(jj) 
 

3 comments:

Runs With Scissors said...

This is something I've never tried! You know me, I'm not allowed near hot oil! LOL!

Thanks for the recipe, seems like something I could do!

Peppercorns said...

These donuts sound perfect for Christmas morning! Thanks jj.

(RWS, before you try these I have to ask, is hubby home?) LOL

VintageEmbellishment said...

Yummy! I hope my sister makes them Christmas morning :)

RWS...get away from the hot oil...just saying!